The english school reformed : or, an introduction to spelling and reading English. Wherein Words of several Syllables are so divided, that the Sound of each Syllable, when joined together, shall not only lead the Scholar into the true Pronunciation of every Word, but also greatly facilitate the Labour of the Teacher. Containing I. Monosyllables and Dissyllables. II. Words from two to five and six Syllables exactly divided and accented. III. A large Collection of Words that agree in Sound, but differ in Sense and Spelling. IV. Another Collection of Words made different in Sound and Signification by the Addition of e Final. V. A Table of Words which are accented on the first Syllable when they signify the Name of a Thing; but on the last Syllable when they signify an Action. The first a Noun, the second a Verb VI. Another Table of Words, written very different from their Pronunciation. Vii. A copious Table of proper Names of Persons and Places, collected from the Old and New Testament, &c. each word accented and divided, so that the Scholar cannot fail of giving it its true Pronunciation. Viii. Directions concerning the Vowels, Consonants, Diphthongs, and Triphthongs: Dividing of Syllables, Marks and Stops, Contraction of Words, Figures and Numeral Letters, &c. With every Thing that relates to Propriety in Reading. The Whole interspersed with a great Number of proper Lessons moral and divine, with Rules for good Behaviour. To which is added, a variety of divine songs and select fables. By Archibald Douglas Schoolmaster in Stirling.
- Douglas, Archibald Schoolmaster.
- Eighteenth Century collections online
- English school reformed
- Glasgow : printed for Robert Banks bookseller in Stirling, and Sold by most Booksellers in Scotland 1770
1 online resource (163,p. )
- Reproduction of original from British Library.
- Reproduction available: Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Thomson Gale, 2003. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Available in electronic full text to members of the University via the Library web catalogue.
- Referenced by: English Short Title Catalog T106753.
- Electronic books.
- http://find.shef.ac.uk/openurl/44SFD/44SFD_services_page?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=9983422513001441 ; Eighteenth century collections online (ECCO)
- https://historicaltexts.jisc.ac.uk/ecco-0207700600 ; Connect to e-book
- https://le.userservices.exlibrisgroup.com/view/uresolver/44UOLE_INST/openurl?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=991009494104302746 ; Gale Eighteenth Century Collections Online I
- https://librarysearch.cardiff.ac.uk/openurl/44WHELF_CAR/44WHELF_CAR:44WHELF_CAR_VU1? ?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=9911440493502420
- https://manchester.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/openurl?institution=44MAN&vid=44MAN_INST:MU_NUI?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=992976519573501631 ; Gale Primary Sources: Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)
- https://onesearch.lancaster-university.uk/openurl/44LAN/LUL_VU1? ?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=9924778150001221 ; Gale Eighteenth Century Collections Online I
- https://shu.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/openurl?institution=44SHU_INST&vid=44SHU_INST:44SHU_VU1&?u.ignore_date_coverage=true&rft.mms_id=99375943502501 ; Gale Eighteenth Century Collections Online I