- Bloomington, Ind. : Indiana University Press c2013
- Description based upon print version of record.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Description based on print version record.
- COVER; TITLE; COPYRIGHT; CONTENTS; FOREWORD; ACKNOWLEDGMENTS; INTRODUCTION: Religious Life on the Mississippi; 1 ""The Singing of the Mississippi"": The River and Religions of the Black Atlantic; 2 Religion and American Empire in Mississippi, 1790-1833; 3 Movement, Maps, and Wonder: Civil Religious Competition at the Source of the Mississippi River, 1805-1832; 4 Looking for the New Jerusalem: Antebellum New Religious Movements and the Mississippi River; 5 ""Go Down into Jordan: No, Mississippi"": Mormon Nauvoo and the Rhetoric of Landscape
- 6 The Mississippi River and the Transformation of Black Religion in the Delta, 1877-19157 The Redemption of Souls and Soils: Religion and the Rural Crisis in the Delta; 8 Bonfires on the Levee: Place, Memory, and the Sacred in River Road Catholicism; 9 ""Big River"": Johnny Cash and the Currents of History; AFTERWORD: ""No Home Like a Raft"": Repositioning the Narratives of U.S. Religious History; CONTRIBUTORS; INDEX; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y
- Electronic books.
- From the colonial period to the present, the Mississippi River has impacted religious communities from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico. Exploring the religious landscape along the 2,530 miles of the largest river system in North America, the essays in Gods of the Mississippi make a compelling case for American religion in motion-not just from east to west, but also from north to south. With discussion of topics such as the religions of the Black Atlantic, religion and empire, antebellum religious movements, the Mormons at Nauvoo, black religion in the delta, Catholicism in the Deep South, a
Holdings information at Cardiff Metropolitan University
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
More details about: Cardiff Metropolitan University