Values of beauty : historical essays in aesthetics / Paul Guyer (Florence R.C. Murray Professor in the Humanities, University of Pennsylvania).
- Guyer, Paul 1948- [author]
- New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press 2005
- Papers previously published between 1986 and 2004, with three previously unpublished.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 345-352) and index.
- The origins of modern aesthetics : 1711-1735 -- The standard of taste and the "most ardent desire of society" -- The harmony of the faculties revisited -- Beauty and utility in eighteenth-century aesthetics -- Free and adherent beauty : a modest proposal -- Kant on the purity of the ugly -- Beauty, freedom, and morality : Kant's lectures on anthropology and the development of his aesthetic theory -- The ethical value of the aesthetic : Kant, Alison, and Santayana -- The symbols of freedom in Kant's aesthetics -- Exemplary originality : genius, universality, and individuality -- Pleasure and knowledge in Schopenhauer's aesthetics -- From Jupiter's eagle to Warhol's boxes : the concept of art from Kant to Danto -- The value of a theory of beauty : Mary Mothersill's Beauty restored.
Holdings information at the University of Cambridge Libraries
Live circulation data is not available.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
|University Library: South Front, Floor 6||400:05.c.200.558|
|Darwin College Library: Main Library||111.85 GUY|
|Philosophy (Casimir Lewy Library): Main Library||B 24 GUY|
|Gonville and Caius College Library: Upper Library||111.85 G|
More details about: University of Cambridge Libraries