The Oxford handbook of Late Antiquity / edited by Scott Fitzgerald Johnson.
- Late antiquity
- [Oxford] : Oxford University Press 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on Nov. 27, 2012).
- Preface: On the uniqueness of Late Antiquity / Scott Fitzgerald Johnson -- Introduction: Late antique conceptions of Late Antiquity / Hervé Inglebert ; translation from French prepared by Scott Fitzgerald Johnson -- The western kingdoms / Michael Kulikowski -- Barbarians : problems and approaches / Michael Maas -- The Balkans / Craig H. Caldwell III -- Armenia / Tim Greenwood -- Central Asia and the Silk Road / Étienne de la Vaissière -- Syriac and the "Syrians" / Philip Wood -- Egypt / Arietta Papaconstantinou -- The Coptic tradition / Anne Boud'hors -- Arabia and Ethiopia / Christian Julien Robin -- Latin poetry / Scott McGill -- Greek poetry / Gianfranco Agosti -- Historiography / Brian Croke -- Hellenism and its discontents / Aaron P. Johnson -- Education : speaking, thinking, and socializing / Edward Watts -- Monasticism and the philosophical heritage / Samuel Rubenson -- Physics and metaphysics / Gregory Smith -- Travel, cartography, and cosmology / Scott Fitzgerald Johnson -- Economic trajectories / Jairus Banaji -- Concerning rural matters / Cam Grey -- Marriage and family / Kyle Harper -- Poverty, charity, and the inventin of the hospital / Peregrine Horden -- Concepts of citizenship / Ralph W. Mathisen -- Justice and equality / Kevin Uhalde -- Roman law and legal culture / Jill Harries -- Communication in Late Antiquity : use and reuse / Andrew Gillett.
- Paganism and Christianization / Jaclyn Maxwell -- Episcopal leadership / David M. Gwynn -- Theological argumentation : the case of forgery / Susan Wessel -- Sacred space and visual art / Ann Marie Yasin -- Object relations : theorizing the late antique viewer / Glenn Peers -- From Nisibis to Xi'an : the church of the east in late antique Eurasia / Joel Walker -- Early Islam as a late antique religion / Robert Hoyland -- Muḥammad and the Qur'ān / Stephen J. Shoemaker -- Comparative state formation : the later Roman Empire in the wider world / John Haldon -- Late Antiquity in Byzantium / Petre Guran -- Late Antiquity and the Italian Renaissance / Christopher Celenza.
- Other format: ; ISBN: 0-19-533693-3
- Electronic books
- Late antiquity extends from the accession of the Christian emperor Constantine to the rise of Muhammad and early Islam (ca. 300-700 AD). This volume takea account of the scholarship published in the last 30 years and provide a foundational synthesis for students of late antiquity.
Holdings information at the University of Leicester Library
Live circulation data is not available.
Link to external resource:
More details about: University of Leicester Library