Hanuman's tale : the messages of a divine monkey / Philip Lutgendorf.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press 2007
- Description based upon print version of record.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -423) and index.
- Preface and Prashasti*; Contents; On Transliteration, Vocabulary, and Style; 1. Major and Minor: Hanuman in Hindu Life and Scholarly Discourse; 2. A Long and Winding Tail: Hanuman in History and Historiography; 3. Prayers, Recipes, Memoirs: Hanuman in Hindi Popular Literature; 4. The Hanumayana: Forty Tales of Hanuman; 5. A Reader's Guide to the Hanumayana; 6. Sitings and Sightings: Hanuman in the Cultural Landscape; 7. Like Mother, Like Son: Hanuman, Goddesses, and Women; 8. Monkey in the Middle: Hanuman and His Kin in Transcultural Discourse; Appendix: Two Poems in Praise of Hanuman
- GlossaryA; B; C; D; G; H; J; K; L; M; N; P; R; S; T; V; Y; Bibliography: Principal Hanumayana Sources by Author; Other Sources; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Electronic books.
- Philip Lutgendorf examines Hindu popular literature, art, and ritual, and shows that Hanuman is perhaps the most beloved deity in the Hindu pantheon. He traces the history of Hanuman's character, teases out the many variations on the story, and examines the sources of his enormous appeal.
Holdings information at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
More details about: University of Wales Trinity Saint David