The new Blackwell companion to the sociology of religion / edited by Bryan S. Turner.
- Sociology of religion.
- Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom ; Malden, MA, USA : Wiley-Blackwell 2010
- Access for current City students and staff only.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Online resource; title from digital title page (Wiley Online Library platform, viewed January 22, 2019).
- Introduction: Mapping the sociology of religion / Bryan S. Turner -- Part I: The foundations. The sociology of religion: the foundations / Andrew McKinnon ; Durkheim and after: religion, culture, and politics / William Ramp ; The functional theory of religion / Victor Lidz ; Recent developments in the anthropology of religion / Simon Coleman -- Part II: From secularization to resacralisation. Secularization / Steve Bruce ; American exceptionalism? / John Torpey ; Resacralization / Grace Davie -- Part III: New developments. Rational choice and the sociology of religion / David Lehmann ; The religious habitus: embodiment, religion, and sociological theory / Philip Mellor and Chris Shilling ; Women, religions, and feminisms / Fang-Long Shih -- Part IV: Institutionalization: old and new forms. New research on megachurches: non-denominationalism and sectarianism / Steven Ellingson ; The sociology of spirituality: reflections on a problematic endeavour / Matthew Wood ; Arguing against darwinism: religion, science, and public morality / Michael Evans and John Evans -- Part V: Sociology of comparative religions. The sociology of early Christianity: from history to theory, and back again / Joseph Bryant ; Judaism: covenant, pluralism, and piety / Alan Mittleman ; Sociology and anthropology of Islam: a critical debate / Gabriele Marranci ; Approaches to the study of Buddhism / Catherine Newell ; Sociology of Hinduism / Patrap Kumar Penumala ; Religious awakening in China under communist rule: a political economy approach / Fenggang Yang ; Native American religious traditions: a sociological approach / Dennis Kelly -- Part VI: Globalization. Globalization and the sociology of religion / Lionel Obadia ; Pentecostalism and Charismatic movements in a global perspective / Afe Adogame ; Fundamentalism / Richard T. Antoun ; Religion, media, and globalization / Jeremy Stolow ; Toward a sociology of religious commodification / Pattana Kitiarsa ; Women and piety movements / Rachel Rinaldo ; Religion and nationalism: a critical re-examination / Geneviáeve Zubrzycki -- Part VII: The future of religion. The future of religion / Andrew Wernick ; Religion in post-secular society / Bryan S. Turner.
- Turner, Bryan S. [editor]
- Print version:: New Blackwell companion to the sociology of religion. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010 ; ISBN: 9781405188524
- Reflecting the latest developments in the field, this book provides a comprehensive introduction to the sociology of religion with a clear emphasis on comparative and historical approaches. It covers major debates in secularization theory, rational choice theory, feminism, and the body. It takes a multidisciplinary approach, covering history, sociology, anthropology, and religious studies. It is international in its scope, covering American exceptionalism, Native American spirituality, and China, Europe, and Southeast Asia. It offers discussions on the latest developments, including "megachurches", spirituality, post-secular society and globalization.
Holdings information at City, University of London
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
More details about: City, University of London