Cities in transition : new challenges, new responsibilities / edited by Bernhard Blanke and Randall Smith
- New York : St. Martin's Press in association with Anglo-German Foundation for the Study of Industrial Society 1999
- University staff and students only. Requires University Computer Account login off-campus.
- Reproduction available: Electronic reproduction. Basingstoke, England : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Title from title screen (viewed on Mar. 5, 2009). Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Available through Palgrave Connect.
- List of Figures and Plates -- FOREWORD; Connie Martin -- Notes on Contributors -- Acknowledgements -- Introduction; B.Blanke & R.Smith -- PART I: THE URBAN FUTURE -- 20-40 Vision - Urban Futures to Avoid and Urban Futures to Admire; N.Thrift -- PART II: LOCAL ISSUES AND GLOBAL IMPLICATIONS -- The Politics of Interdependence - Risk and Uncertainty in the City Region; M.Stewart -- Commentary on Murray Stewart's Thesis; D.Fürst -- Identity, Community and Polity in the 21st Century - Thinking About the Future in Bristol; P.Burton -- Identities, Communities and Policies - Cities on the Threshold of a New Era; A. von Saldern -- The Dual City or the City of Many Parts? Rethinking Differences in Cities in Transition; S.Watson -- Socio-Economic Exclusion and the Stability of the Urban Social Order; H.Schridde -- Industrial Past and Urban Future in the Ruhr; W.Siebel -- PART III: GLOBAL CONCERNS AND LOCAL STRATEGIES -- Local City Structures Under Pressure to Change; H.Schubert -- European Union Policies and Finds - The Role of Urban Government in England; R.Smith -- Defining Innovative Potential in City Regions; A.Brandt -- Local Capacity in Bristol - Tentative Steps Towards Institutional Thickness; N.Oatley & C.Lambert -- Capacity at the Local Level for Action; H.Heinelt & N.Staeck -- Changing Cities - Transforming Socio-Ecological Relations in Bristol and Brussels; C.Fudge -- Implementing Sustainable Development at the Local and Regional Level; S.Kunst -- Challenges to Urban Policy: Modernisation and the Mobilisation of Local Responses in the 21st Century; B.Blanke & R.Smith -- Index.
- Conference publication
- This volume explores a range of current problems faced by cities in Germany and England and reflects on constructive strategies for enhancing the quality of life for the citizens of twenty-first century urban environments. The chapters of the book are based on papers given at a symposium organised by the Universities of Bristol and Hannover in 1997 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of twinning between the cities of Hannover and Bristol. The themes covered include profiles of possible urban futures in the middle of the twenty-first century, the relationship between the city and the region, issues of identity and community, socio-economic exclusion, and the changing structure of cities, revitalising industrial areas, the relevance of EU structural finds, innovation in cities, exploiting local capacities, environmental strategies and key measures on urban policy. A unifying theme is the mobilisation of local and regional resources to respond positively to the challenges faced by the cities of the twenty-first century.
Holdings information at the University of St Andrews Library
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
More details about: University of St Andrews Library