The Oxford illustrated history of opera / edited by Roger Parker.
- OXFORD ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF OPERA
- Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press 1994
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- The seventeenth century / Tim Carter -- The eighteenth century : serious opera ; The eighteenth century : comic opera / Thomas Bauman -- The nineteenth century : France / David Charlton -- The nineteenth century : Italy / William Ashbrook -- The nineteenth century : Germany / Barry Millington -- Russian, Czech, Polish, and Hungarian opera to 1900 / John Tyrrell -- The twentieth century : to 1945 ; The twentieth century : 1945 to the present day / Paul Griffiths -- The staging of opera / Roger Savage -- Opera singers / William Ashbrook -- Opera as a social occasion / John Rosselli.
- Parker, Roger 1951-
- Other format: ; ISBN: 0-19-816282-0
- Electronic books
- Pictorial works.
- There are few one-volume histories of opera available, and none includes the up-to-date information contained here. Nine leading authorities provide insightful chapters on periods in opera history, from a thorough account of opera in the 17th century through the works of present-day composers such as Philip Glass and John Adams. Because it is intended for the general reader, this work has no musical examples or footnotes. The chapters are not organized in a strictly chronological format but are built around a series of concepts or arguments, presented with a wealth of supporting information, making the index essential to finding answers to specific questions. For both the casual and informed reader, however, the more than 250 illustrations-many rare, and all appearing with detailed captions-will be of particular interest. There is also a notable chapter on staging, and the fascinating opera trivia (from traffic jams and ticket scalpers to a history of lavatories) found in John Rosselli's chapter, "Opera as Social Occasion," will hold readers' attention.
Holdings information at the University of Westminster
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
More details about: University of Westminster