Philosophy of mathematics : selected readings / edited by Paul Benacerraf, Hilary Putnam.
- Second edition.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press 1983
- 9781139171519 (ebook)
- 9780521227964 (hardback)
- 9780521296489 (paperback)
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
- Symposium on the foundations of mathematics -- 1. The logicist foundations of mathematics / Rudolf Carnap -- 2. The intuitionist foundations of mathematics / Arend Heyting -- 3. The formalist foundations of mathematics / Johann Von Neumann -- Disputation / Arend Heyting -- Intuitionism and formalism / L.E.J. Brouwer -- Consciousness, philosophy, and mathematics / L.E.J. Brouwer -- The philosophical basis of intuitionistic logic / Michael Dummett -- The concept of number / Gottlob Frege -- Selections from Introduction to mathematical philosophy / Bertrand Russell -- On the infinite / David Hilbert -- Remarks on the definition and nature of mathematics / Haskell B. Curry -- Hilbert's programme / Georg Kreisel -- Empiricism, semantics, and ontology / Rudolf Carnap -- On platonism in mathematics / Paul Bernays -- What numbers could not be / Paul Benacerraf -- Mathematics without foundations / Hilary Putnam -- The a priori / Alfred Jules Ayer -- Truth by convention / W.V. Quine -- Carnap and logical truth / W.V. Quine -- On the nature of mathematical reasoning / Henri Poincare -- Mathematical truth / Paul Benacerraf -- Models and reality / Hilary Putnam -- Russell's mathematical logic / Kurt Gödel -- What is Cantor's continuum problem? / Kurt Gödel -- The iterative concept of set / George Boolos -- What is the iterative conception of set? / Charles Parsons -- The concept of set / Hao Wang.
- Print version: : ; ISBN: 9780521227964
- The twentieth century has witnessed an unprecedented 'crisis in the foundations of mathematics', featuring a world-famous paradox (Russell's Paradox), a challenge to 'classical' mathematics from a world-famous mathematician (the 'mathematical intuitionism' of Brouwer), a new foundational school (Hilbert's Formalism), and the profound incompleteness results of Kurt Gödel. In the same period, the cross-fertilization of mathematics and philosophy resulted in a new sort of 'mathematical philosophy', associated most notably (but in different ways) with Bertrand Russell, W. V. Quine, and Gödel himself, and which remains at the focus of Anglo-Saxon philosophical discussion. The present collection brings together in a convenient form the seminal articles in the philosophy of mathematics by these and other major thinkers. It is a substantially revised version of the edition first published in 1964 and includes a revised bibliography. The volume will be welcomed as a major work of reference at this level in the field.
Holdings information at the University of Bath Library
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
Link to external resource:
Link to external resource:
More details about: University of Bath Library