An introduction to Buddhism : teachings, history, and practices / Peter Harvey.
- Cambridge [England] ; New York : Cambridge University Press 1990
- 0521308151 (hard covers)
- 0521313333 (paperback)
- 9780521308151 (hard covers)
- 9780521313339 (paperback)
- Includes indexes.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 326-343).
- The Buddha and his Indian context -- Early Buddhist teachings : rebirth and karma -- Early Buddhist teachings : the four holy truths -- Early developments in Buddhism -- Mahāyāna philosophy -- Mahāyāna holy beings -- The later history and spread of Buddhism -- Buddhist practice : devotion -- Buddhist practice : ethics -- Buddhist practice : the sangha -- Buddhist practice : meditation and the development of wisdom -- The modern history of Buddhism in Asia -- Buddhism beyond Asia.
- This book is a comprehensive introduction to Buddhist tradition as it has developed in three major cultural areas in Asia, and to Buddhism as it is now developing in the West. It not only explores the world views of the religion but also attempts to show how Buddhism functions as a set of practices. It thus includes chapters on devotion, ethics, monastic practices and meditation. Such practices are related to Buddhist teachings and historical developments. Emphasizing as it does the diversity found within different Buddhist traditions, the book aims throughout to underline common threads of belief, practice and historical continuities which unify the Buddhist world. --From publisher's description.
Holdings information at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
More details about: University of Wales Trinity Saint David