The growth of biological thought : diversity, evolution, and inheritance / Ernst Mayr.
- Mayr, Ernst 1904-2005.
- Cambridge, Mass. ; London : Belknap Press 1982
- Human Genetics Historical Library copy from the collection of Prof. J. H. Edwards, Oxford
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 893-955) and index.
- Introduction: how to write history of biology -- The place of biology in the sciences and its conceptual structure -- The changing intellectual milieu of biology -- Diversity of life: -- Macrotaxonomy, the science of classifying -- Grouping according to common ancestry -- Microtaxonomy, the science of species -- Evolution: -- Origins without evolution -- Evolution before Darwin -- Charles Darwin -- Darwin's evidence for evolution and common descent -- The causation of evolution: natural selection -- Diversity and synthesis of evolutionary thought -- Post-synthesis developments -- Variation and its inheritance: -- Early theories and breeding experiments -- Germ cells, vehicles of heredity -- The nature of inheritance -- The flowering of Mendelian genetics -- Theories of the gene -- The chemical basis of inheritance -- Epilogue: Toward a science of science.
- Includes: Human Genetics Historical Library.
Holdings information at Cardiff University Libraries
Requesting live circulation data...Live circulation data is not available.Displaying live circulation data.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
More details about: Cardiff University Libraries