- AMERICAN CONGRESS
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin 2004
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- From the old Congress to the new / Jack N. Rakove -- Opening Congress / Joanne Barrie Freeman -- Democracy, gentility, and lobbying in the early U.S. Congress / Jeffrey L. Pasley -- The Alien and Sedition Acts / Alan Taylor -- The early impact of slavery / Robin L. Einhorn -- The War of 1812 / Donald R. Hickey -- Congress, internal improvement, and the problem of governance / John Lauritz Larson -- Congress in a partisan political era / Joel H. Silbey -- The bank war / Daniel Feller -- Territorial expansion / Bartholomew H. Sparrow -- The slavery issue / Michael F. Holt -- The Civil War / Mark E. Neely, Jr. -- Reconstruction / Brooks D. Simpson -- The press coverage of Congress : reporting Johnson's impeachment / Donald A. Ritchie -- White supremacy / Jane Dailey -- The American West / William Deverell -- Railroad policy / K. Austin Kerr -- Industrialization / Richard Bensel -- The transformation of the congressional experience / Eric Rauchway --
- Economic regulation in the progressive era / Elizabeth Sanders -- Redesigning Congress : the seventeenth and twentieth amendments to the Constitution / David E. Kyvig -- Women's activism / Alison M. Parker -- The transformation of American immigration policy / Daniel J. Tichenor -- Prohibition / Thomas R. Pegram -- The first World War / Joseph A. McCartin -- The forgotten New Deal Congress / Patrick Maney -- World War II : conservatism and constituency politics / Alonzo L. Hamby -- The Cold War / Randall Bennett Woods -- McCarthyism in Congress : investigating communism / Donald A. Ritchie -- The second reconstruction / Timothy N. Thurber -- The Warren Court and the political process / L.A. Powe, Jr. -- The Great Society / Edward D. Berkowitz -- The Vietnam War / Fredrik Logevall -- The environment / Paul C. Milazzo -- Congressional reform / Barbara Sinclair -- Restraining the imperial presidency : Congress and Watergate / Bruce J. Schulman --
- Congress and the media / Michael Schudson -- Congress and the budget since 1974 / Eric Patashnik -- War power / Louis Fisher -- When Republicans became revolutionaries : conservatives in Congress / Donald T. Critchlow.
- Other format: ; ISBN: 0-618-17906-2
- Electronic books
- Here are the stories behind the 1868 vote to impeach President Andrew Johnson; the rise of Jeannette Rankin, the first woman elected to Congress and a leading advocate for pacifism; and the controversy surrounding James Eastland of Mississippi, who carried civil rights bills in his pockets so they could not come up for a vote. Sidebars further spotlight notables, including Huey Long, Sam Rayburn, and Tip O'Neill, bringing the sweeping history of our lawmaking bodies into sharp focus."--Jacket.
Holdings information at the University of Strathclyde Library
Live circulation data is not available.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
|Galegroup, Gale Cengage Academic OneFile||Galegroup Gale Cengage Academic OneFile|
|Galegroup, Gale Cengage General OneFile||Galegroup Gale Cengage General OneFile|
More details about: University of Strathclyde Library