The quest for the Trinity : the doctrine of God in scripture, history and modernity / Stephen R. Holmes.
- Holmes, Stephen R. [author]
- Downers Grove, Illinois : IVP Academic 
- Rev. ed. of: The Holy Trinity : understanding God's life. 2012.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -221) and index.
- 'The history that God is': studying the doctrine of the Trinity in the twenty-first century -- 'In your light, we see light': the Trinity in the Bible -- 'Always with him are his word and wisdom': early patristic developments in the doctrine of the Trinity -- 'From the ousia of the father': the fourth-century debates 1 -- 'The Godhead is by nature simple': the fourth-century debates 2 -- 'Understood by a few saints and holy persons': the west and Augustine -- Interlude: the harvest of patristic Trinitarianism -- 'Distinction in the persons but unity in the nature': the Medieval doctrine of the Trinity -- 'By the testimonies of the scriptures or by manifest reason': anti-trinitarianism from the reformation to the eighteenth century -- 'A transformation which will go back to its very beginnings': the doctrine of the Trinity since 1800.
- Holmes, Stephen R. Holy Trinity.
- "The Doctrine of the Trinity was settled in the fourth century, and maintained with only very minor disagreement or development by all strands of the church - Western and Eastern, Protestant and Catholic - until the modern period. In the twentieth century, there arose a sense that the doctrine had been neglected and stood in need of recovery. In this masterful survey of the doctrine of the Trinity, Holmes guides scholars and students on a journey through 2,000 years of the Christian doctrine of God. We witness the church's discovery of the Trinity from the biblical testimony, its crucial patristic developments, and medieval and Reformation continuity. We are also confronted with the questioning of traditional dogma during the Enlightenment, and asked to consider anew the character of the modern trinitarian revival."--Back cover.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|Cardiff University Libraries: Arts & Social Studies Library: 1 week||BT111.3.H6|
|University of Edinburgh Libraries: New College Library (STANDARD LOAN)||BT109 Hol.|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Regent's Park College Library||231 HOL|
|University of St Andrews Library: Main Library||BT109.H766|