A history of the Vikings.
- Jones, Gwyn 1907-1999.
- London, New York : Oxford U.P. 1968
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 431-444).
- Text in English.
- Incomplete contents The northern peoples to A.D. 700 -- The viking kingdoms to the close of the tenth century -- The viking movement overseas -- The viking age ends.
- Acknowledgments -- Introduction -- The northern peoples to A.D. 790: From the beginnings to the Age of Migrations -- The legendary history of the Swedes and the Danes -- The Viking kingdoms to the close of the tenth century: The Scandinavian community, I: diversity and unity -- The historical traditions of Norway to 950 -- Denmark to the death of Gorm the Old -- Denmark and Norway from the accession of Harald Bluetooth to the death of Olaf Tryggvason (c. 950-1000) -- The Viking movement overseas: The Scandinavian community, II: aspects of society -- Causes of Viking movement overseas -- The movement south and south-west to 954: the British Isles, the Frankish Empire, and the Mediterranean -- The movement east: the Baltic lands, Russia, Byzantium -- The movement west: Iceland, Greenland, America -- The Viking age ends: the Scandinavian community, III: culture and image -- Svein Forkbeard, Saint Olaf, Knut the Great -- The Viking kingdoms to the death of Harald Hardrach, 1066 -- Appendices: Runes -- The Danelaw -- A Rus ship-burial on the Volga.
- Includes settlement of Iceland and Greenland and voyages to America.
Holdings information at the University of Southampton Library
Live circulation data is not available.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
|Hartley Library: Main Collection (Standard Loan)||DL65|
More details about: University of Southampton Library