Fabliaux Or Tales, Abridged From French Manuscripts Of The XIIth And XIIIth Centuries By M. Le Grand, Selected And Translated Into English Verse, By The Late G.L. Way, Esq. With A Preface, Notes, and Appendix, By The Late G. Ellis, Esq. A New Edition, Corrected. In Three Volumes. Vol. I. (- III.) -
- London : Printed For J. Rodwell, (Successor To Mr. Faulder,) New Bond Street, By S. Hamilton, Weybridge, Surrey. 1815
- With a preliminary leaf in volume I inscribed in pencil, 'J.E.H.', by the hand of John Evan Hodgson, RA, who served as librarian of the Royal Academy from 1882 to 1895. Purchased for the RA Library in 1882 (see RA Annual Report for 1882, p. 44).
- The title page of Volume I is inscribed in ink, 'Illustration by T & J. Bew' and in pencil, 'Note - Woodcuts by Bewick'.
- 19th-century half green morocco, green cloth-covered boards; brown morocco spine-labels lettered 'Fabliaux' and 'Vol. I (-III)', spines lettered 'R.A.' and '1815'.
- Vol. I: , xli, , 223,  p.: illus. - Vol. II: , 272 p.: illus. - Vol. III: , 304 p.: illus.
- The illustrations are unsigned. The printer's name is repeated in the colophons.
- Vol. I: [T.p.] - Sonnet To G.E. (by G.L.W.) - Sonnet To The Rev. H.T.P. (by G.L.W.) - Preface - Advertisement - [Catch title, 'Fabliaux Or tales, Of The Twelfth And Thirteenth Centuries. Vol. I.'] - [Text] - Notes; [colophon]. - Vol. II: [Half-t., t.p.] - [Text] - Notes; [colophon]. - Vol. III: [Half-t., t.p.] - [Text] - Notes - Appendix - Glossary; [colophon].
- Bewick, Thomas 1753-1828 [source artist, draughtsman, wood-engraver]
- Bewick, John 1760-1795 [draughtsman, engraver]
- Way, Gregory Lewis -1799 [translator]
- Ellis, George 1753-1815 [editor]
- Le Grand d'Aussy, Pierre Jean-Baptiste 1737-1800 [compiler]
- Hamilton, Samuel 1799- [printer]
- Rodwell, James 1809- [publisher?]
- Rodwell, John 1812- [publisher?]
- Referenced by: J. Uglow, <I>Nature's engraver: a life of Thomas Bewick</I> (2006) ; N. Tattersfield, <I>John Bewick</I> (2001); <I>A memoir of Thomas Bewick written by himself</I>, ed. I. Bain (rev. 1979); S. Roscoe, <I>Thomas Bewick: a bibliography raisonnée</I> (1953/R1973).
- Pictorial works - Illustrated books - Wood engravings - Great Britain - 18th century - 19th century.
- Tales, French - French poetry - Fabliaux - France - History - 12th century - 13th century.
- Translations into English - Translations from French - Great Britain - 18th century.
- Scope and content: Each volume is decorated with a title-page vignette, headpieces and tailpieces. The book had first been published in 1796.
Holdings information at Royal Academy of Arts
Live circulation data is not available.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Availability|
|Contact the Royal Academy of Arts Library|
More details about: Royal Academy of Arts