Seeds in the heart : Japanese literature from earliest times to the late sixteenth century / with a new preface by the author, Donald Keene.
- Keene, Donald. [author]
- New York : Columbia University Press ©1999
- Originally published: New York : Henry Holt & Co., 1993.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The Kojiki -- Writings in Chinese or the Nara period -- The Man'yōshū -- Poetry and prose in Chinese of the early Heian period -- The transition from the Man'yōshū to the Kokinshū -- The Kokinshū -- Late Heian collections of Waka poetry -- Late Heian poetry and prose in Chinese -- Heian diaries -- The pillow book of Sei Shōnagon -- The beginnings of fiction -- The tale of Genji -- Courtly fiction after The tale of Genji -- Mirrors of history -- Tale literature -- Tales of warfare -- The age of the Shin Kokinshū -- Waka poetry of the Kamakura and Muromachi periods -- Buddhist writings of the Kamakura period -- Courtly fiction of the Kamakura period -- Diaries of the Kamakura period -- Essays in idleness -- Medieval war tales -- Renga -- Diaries and other prose of the Muromachi period -- Nō and Kyōgen as literature -- Literature of the Five Mountains -- Muromachi fiction : otogi-zōshi -- The late sixteenth century.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Donald Keene, a noted authority in the field, offers a guide through the first 900 years of Japanese literature. This period not only defined the unique properties of Japanese prose and prosody, but also produced some of its greatest works.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|British Library: General Reference Collection, St Pancras Reading Rooms||YC.2001.a.8880|
|University of Cambridge Libraries: University Library: Order in West Room (Not borrowable)||2003.9.4377|
|Durham University Library: Bill Bryson Library, Level 2||895.609 KEE|
|National Library of Scotland: General Reading Room, Edinburgh (stored onsite)||HP2.201.03882|
|National Library of Wales / Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru: Contact the National Library of Wales / Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru||PRINT 2001MB4230|
|Oxford Brookes University: Headington Library, Standard Loan||895.609 KEE|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Bodleian Library||M01.E04373|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Hertford College Library||Q 25.50/KEE (1)|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Hertford College Library||Q 25.50/KEE (1) (A)|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Hertford College Library||Q 25.50/KEE (1) (B)|
|University of Oxford Libraries: St Hilda's College Library||895.609 KEE:His (1)|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Pembroke College Library||Z/Jap KEE|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Queen's College Library||PL726.115 .KE|
|University of Oxford Libraries: St John's College Library||OR ST / 067 / KEE|
|Royal Asiatic Society: Royal Asiatic Society Library||Reading Room|
|Trinity College Dublin Library: Ussher Library||PL-345-879|
|University of York Libraries: University Library: Morrell - Ordinary||MY 90.9 KEE|