Continuum encyclopedia of popular music of the world. Media, industry and society / edited by John Shepherd ... [et al.].
- Encyclopedia of popular music of the world. Media, industry and society.
- Media, industry and society.
- Media, industry and society
- Encyclopedia of popular music of the world.
- London [Eng.] : Continuum 2003
- 9781849723626 (online)
- Includes bibliographical references, discographies.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Description based on title page of print version.
- Part I : Social and cultural dimensions -- Documentation -- Popular music studies -- Social phenomena -- Stylistic and textual dimensions -- Venues --
- Part II : The industry -- General terms -- Audio technical terms -- Broadcasting -- Copyright -- Deals and contracts -- The film industry and popular music -- Hardware -- Instrument manufacture -- Management and marketing -- Publishing -- Recording -- Unions.
- Electronic books.
- Abstract: This title contains two major sections: 'Social and Cultural Dimensions' and 'The Industry'. The former contains many entries on social phenomena of relevance to the practise of popular music : entries such as class, deviance, fashion, gender and sexuality, love and courtship, politics, race, religion, spirituality, and youth. It also includes entries on three other sets of phenomena that provide contexts for the practise of popular music: institutions and practises that document popular music; the study of popular music; and stylistic and textual practices that are not themselves musical in nature. Thus, for example, this section covers disciplines and trajectories (for example, poststructuralism) that have contributed to research and publication on popular music
- The section on 'The Industry' contains numerous entries on recording studios, music publishers, record labels, many of which are of historical importance. For reasons of historical documentation, the sheet music listings, discographical references and discographies for these entries contain the first publication details of songs and recordings. However, to assist readers in hearing this music where possible, reference is also frequently made to reissues of older recordings on compact disc. This section also covers the broadcasting media, copyright issues, audio-technical and other hardware terms
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|Leeds Beckett University Library: Contact Leeds Beckett University Library||781.6303 CON|
|London Metropolitan University Library: Aldgate Library||781.6403 CON|
|National Library of Scotland: General Reading Room, Edinburgh (stored on open shelves)||Mus.Ref.36.She|
|Oxford Brookes University||Credo Reference Online location|
|Oxford Brookes University: Headington Library, Standard Loan||781.63 CON|
|Oxford Brookes University: Headington Library, Special Collections Reading Room||781.63 Paul Oliver Archive of African American Music CON|
|University of Reading Library||Online location|
|University of Reading Library: University Library: Electronic resource||XX(1364787.1)|
|University of Surrey: Main Collection||781.6403 CON|