Heinrich Himmler : A Life
- Oxford : Oxford University Press 2011
- Description based upon print version of record.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cover; Contents; Note on Sources; Glossary of Terms; A; B; C; D; E; G; H; I; K; L; N; O; P; R; S; U; V; W; Z; Abbreviations; Picture Credits; Prologue; I. HIMMLER'S EARLY YEARS; 1. Childhood and Youth; 2. The Student of Agriculture; 3. Struggle and Renunciation; 4. A New Start in Lower Bavaria; 5. The Party Functionary; 6. Reichsführer-SS; II. INSIDE THE THIRD REICH; 7. The Takeover of the Political Police; 8. From Inspector of the Prussian Gestapo to Chief of the German Police; 9. The State Protection Corps; III. THE ORDER; 10. Ideology and Religious Cult; 11. Himmler's Leadership Style
- 12. Himmler as Educator13. The SS Family; IV. INTO WAR: AMBITION AND DISAPPOINTMENT; 14. War Preparations and Expansion; 15. War and Settlement in Poland; 16. A New Racial Order; 17. Repression in the Reich; 18. Shifting Borders: The Year 1940; V. THE GREATER GERMANIC REICH: LIVING-SPACE AND ETHNIC MURDER; 19. An Ideological War of Annihilation; 20. From Mass Murder to the 'Final Solution'; 21. The Murder of the European Jews; 22. Settlement Policy and Racial Selection; 23. The 'Iron Law of Ethnicity': Recruitment into the Waffen-SS; 24. A Europe-Wide Reign of Terror; VI. DOWNFALL IN STAGES
- 25. A Turn in the War-A New Opportunity?26. Collapse; Conclusion; Endnotes; Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Himmler, Heinrich 1900-1945.
- Himmler, Heinrich 1900-1945.
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei. Schutzstaffel.
- Germany -- History -- 1933-1945.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945.
- Nazis -- Biography.
- Nazis Germany ; Biography.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- Nazis ; Biography.
- Germany History 1933-1945.
- As head of the SS, chief of police, 'Reichskommissar for the Consolidation of Germanness', and Reich Interior Minister, Heinrich Himmler enjoyed a position of almost unparalleled power and responsibility in Nazi Germany. Perhaps more than any other single Nazi leader aside from Hitler, his name has become a byword for the terror, persecution, and destruction that characterized the Third Reich. His wide-ranging powers meant that he bore equal responsibility for the repression of the Germanpeople on the home front and the atrocities perpetrated by the SS in the East. Yet, in spite of his central role in the crimes of the Nazi regime, until now Himmler has remained a colourless and elusive figure in the history of the period.In this, the first-ever comprehensive biography of the SS-Reichsf--uuml--;hrer, leading German historian Peter Longerich puts every aspect of Himmler's life under the microscope. Masterfully interweaving the story of Himmler's personal life and political career with the wider history of the Nazi dictatorship, Longerich shows how skilfully he exploited and manipulated his disparate roles in the pursuit of his far-reaching and grandiose objectives. In the process, he illuminates the extraordinarydegree to which Himmler's own personal prejudices, idiosyncrasies, and predilections made their mark on the organizations for which he was responsible - especially the SS, which in so many ways bore the characteristic hallmarks of its leader, and whose history remains both incomplete and incomprehensiblewithout a detailed and intimate knowledge of its deeply sinister commander-in-chief.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|Birkbeck, University of London Library: Contact the Library||943.086092 HIM/L|
|Queen's University Belfast: McClay Floor 1||DD247.H46|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library||Online location|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library||Online location||eBook Library|
|UCL Library Services: UCL Main Library||HISTORY 52 H 4 LON|
|UCL Library Services: UCL School of Slavonic & East European Studies Library||G.XII.a HIM LON|