The first word : the search for the origins of language / Christine Kenneally.
- New York ; London : Viking 2007
- 9780670034901 (alk. paper)
- 0670034908 (alk. paper)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -340) and index.
- Prelude -- Introduction -- [pt]. 1. Language is not a thing -- Prologue -- 1. Noam Chomsky -- 2. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh -- 3. Steven Pinker and Paul Bloom -- 4. Philip Lieberman -- [pt]. 2. If you have human language -- 5. You have something to talk about -- 6. You have words -- 7. You have gestures -- 8. You have speech -- 9. You have structure -- 10. You have a human brain -- 11. Your genes have human mutations -- [pt]. 3. What evolves? -- 12. Species evolve -- 13. Culture evolves -- 14. Why things evolve -- [pt]. 4. Where next? -- 15. The future of the debate -- 16. The future of language and evolution -- Epilogue : The babies of Galápagos.
- Table of contents only http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip079/2007003182.html
- Table of contents only http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip079/2007003182.html ; Link to Table of contents
- Contributor biographical information http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0743/2007003182-b.html ; Link to Contributor biographical information
- Publisher description http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0743/2007003182-d.html ; Link to Publisher description
- The search for the origin of human language has finally come of age. For centuries, progress in Ur-language research was slow and spasmodic; many scientists came to believe that there was no definitive way to answer its central questions. Then, in the past 20 years, everything changed. Linguist Kenneally shows how linguists, cognitive scientists, animal researchers, biologists, and geneticists have all contributed valuable new insights into language evolution.--From publisher description.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|British Library: Lending Collection||m08/.13178|
|British Library||Table of contents only Online location|
|British Museum Library: Anthropology Library||M46902|
|British Museum Library: Middle East Library||GEN I 1 KEN|
|University of Leeds Library: Brotherton Library Main Building, level 1||Linguistics D-2 KEN|
|National Library of Scotland||Table of contents only Online location|
|National Library of Scotland: General Reading Room, Edinburgh (stored offsite)||PB5.211.968/3|
|University of Oxford Libraries: St Anne's College Library: Tim Gardam Building||400.1 KEN:Fir|
|University of Reading Library: University Library: 3rd Floor||401-KEN|
|SOAS Library, University of London: Main Library||A401 /985699|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library||Table of contents only Online location||Link to Table of contents|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library||Publisher description Online location||Link to Publisher description|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library||Contributor biographical information Online location||Link to Contributor biographical information|
|Sheffield Hallam University Library: Adsetts Main Collection||417.7 KE (LEVEL 3)|
|Trinity College Dublin Library||Table of contents only Online location|
|Trinity College Dublin Library: Ussher Library||8p00 P88|
|Trinity College Dublin Library: Ussher Library||8p00 P88;1|
|UCL Library Services: UCL Language & Speech Science Library|