How the Catholic Church built Western civilization / Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
- Woods, Thomas E. Jr. 1972-
- Washington, DC Lanham, MD : Regnery Pub. ; Distributed to the trade by National Book Network c2005
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -265) and index.
- The indispensable Church -- A light in the darkness -- How the monks saved civilization -- The Church and the university -- The Church and science -- Art, architecture, and the Church -- The origins of international law -- The Church and economics -- How Catholic Charity changed the world -- The Church and western law -- The Church and western morality -- Conclusion: The Catholic Church and western civilization.
- Table of contents http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip059/2005007380.html
- Western civilization has given us the miracles of modern science, the wealth of free-market economics, the security of the rule of law, a unique sense of human rights and freedom, charity as a virtue, splendid art and music, a philosophy grounded in reason, and innumerable other gifts that we take for granted as the wealthiest and most powerful civilization in history. But what is the ultimate source of these gifts? Author Woods maintains: the Catholic Church. In this book, you'll learn: why modern science was born in the Catholic Church; how Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market economics five hundred years before Adam Smith; how the Catholic Church invented the university; why what you know about the Galileo affair is wrong; how Western law grew out of Church canon law; and how the Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life.--From publisher description.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|British Library: Lending Collection||m06/.25390|
|University of Cambridge Libraries: University Library: South Wing, Floor 3||70:1.c.200.24|
|LSE Library||Table of contents Online location|
|LSE Library: Main collection books||BX1795.C85 W89|
|Senate House Library, University of London: Heythrop, Crown||BT3483 WOO|
|Swansea University Libraries: Singleton Park Library : Main||BX1795.C85 >WOO|
|Ushaw College: Ushaw College, Divines' Library||282.09 WOO|