The new encyclopedia of Islam / Cyril Glassé ; introduction by Huston Smith.
- Rev. ed.
- Walnut Creek, CA : AltaMira Press 2001
- "Revised edition of the Concise encyclopedia of Islam."
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 530-534).
- Author's preface -- Introduction to the first edition / by Professor Huston Smith -- Notes to the first edition -- The encyclopedia -- Appendix A: Reference maps. Historical synopsis of the Islamic world ; Historical synopsis of the Middle East ; Arabia and its neighbours at the time of the prophet's birth ; Islam in the modern world -- Appendix B: Mecca and the Ḥajj. Chart of the Ḥajj ; Map of Mecca ; Plan of the Grand Mosque -- Appendix C: Branches of Islam -- Appendix D: Genealogical tables. The Quraysh ; The Umayyads ; The 'Abbāsids ; The 'Alids -- Chronology.
- Glassé, Cyril. Concise encyclopedia of Islam.
- THe New Encyclopedia of Islam is written by a scholar for the general reader and researcher, without assuming any prior knowledge of the subject. Detailed cross-references lead the reader into deeper knowledge of Islam, whatever his strarting point. Many quotations, and hitherto untranslated prayers, support the religious and philosphical entries.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|Aga Khan Library, London: Main reading room||BP40 .G42 1991|
|British Library: Lending Collection||m04/32832|
|Durham University Library: Bill Bryson Library, Level 4||297.03 GLA|
|University of Liverpool Library: Sydney Jones Library||BP40.G54||0|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Blackfriars Library||BP 40 GLA 2001|
|SOAS Library, University of London: Main Library||N030 /729419|
|University of St Andrews Library: Main Library Reference||BP40.G6 Ref|