The first great political realist : Kautilya and his Arthashastra / Roger Boesche.
- 1st pbk. ed.
- Lanham : Lexington Books c2002
- 9780739106075 (pbk.)
- 0739106074 (pbk.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -122) and index.
- Reproduction available: Electronic reproduction. Dawson Books. Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Description based on print version record.
- Introduction -- Historical background -- A science of politics for a wise king -- Kautilya's spy state -- The economy : a socialist monarchy -- Foreign policy and war -- Power, advancement, and a theory of history -- Conclusion.
- Kautalya. Arthasastra.
- KauỲtalya. Arthaśóastra.
- Kauṭalya. Arthaśāstra.
- Kautalya. Arthashastra.
- Kauttilya Arthashastra.
- Political science India History ; Early works to 1800.
- State, The ; Early works to 1800.
- State, The.
- Political science India History.
- India Politics and government To 997.
- India Politics and government 997-1765.
- Paperback: ; ISBN: 9780739106075
- Electronic books.
- This book provides an analysis of one of the ancient world's foremost political realists, Kautilya. Kautilya's treatise Arthashastra stands as one of the great political books of the ancient world, its ideas on the science of politics strikingly similar to those of Thucydides, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Clausewitz, and even Sun Tzu. The author's commentary on Kautilya's text draws out the essential realist arguments for modern political analysis and demonstrates the continued relevance of Kautilya's work to modern Indian strategic thinking and our understanding of the relationship between politics and economics. Striking a balance between textual analysis and secondary scholarship, this work contributes to the study of ancient Indian history, Eastern political thought, and international relations.
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|Birkbeck, University of London Library: Contact the Library||320.1092 KAU/B|
|British Library: Lending Collection||m02/42019|
|Brunel University London Library||Online location|
|Brunel University London Library: Online||XX(773315.1)|
|University of Edinburgh Libraries: Main Library (STANDARD LOAN) - 2nd floor||JA84.I4 Boe.|
|University of Glasgow Library: University Library Level 6 Annexe||Politics B499 BOE|
|LSE Library: Main collection books||JA84.I4 B67|
|Lancaster University: Main Collection||MAIN OMB (B) B Floor|
|Newcastle University Libraries: Philip Robinson Library: Robinson Books Level 3||320.954 BOE|
|University of Oxford Libraries: Nuffield College Library: Tower open access||JA 84.I4.B|
|SOAS Library, University of London: Main Library||KC320.1 /932429|
|University of St Andrews Library||Online location||Connect to e-book|