In the land of a thousand gods : a history of Asia Minor in the ancient world / Christian Marek, in collaboration with Peter Frei ; translated by Steven Rendall.
- Marek, Christian 1950- [author]
- Geschichte Kleinasiens in der Antike. English
- English edition.
- Princeton, New Jersey : Princeton University Press 
- Originally published as: Geschichte Kleinasiens in der Antike / by Christian Marek. München : Verlag C.H. Beck oHG, ©2010.
- Translated from the German.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 691-725) and indexes.
- Introduction: Anatolia between east and west -- Modern fieldwork in Asia Minor -- From prehistory to the oldest written culture -- The late Bronze and Iron Age -- The western Persian Empire and the world of the Greeks in Asia Minor (547/546 to 333 BCE) -- Monarchies, vassals, and cities from Alexander's Empire to the Pax Romana (331 BCE to 31 BCE) -- Imperium Romanum: the provinces from Augustus to Aurelian -- Asia Minor and imperial administration under the principate -- Economic, socio-political, and cultural conditions in the provinces of the Imperial Period -- Epilogue and outlook.
- still image
- "In this critically acclaimed book, Christian Marek masterfully provides the first comprehensive history of Asia Minor from prehistory to the Roman imperial period. Blending rich narrative with in-depth analyses, In the Land of a Thousand Gods shows Asia Minor's shifting orientation between East and West and its role as both a melting pot of nations and a bridge for cultural transmission. Marek employs ancient sources to illuminate civic institutions, urban and rural society, agriculture, trade and money, the influential Greek writers of the Second Sophistic, the notoriously bloody exhibitions of the gladiatorial arena, and more. He draws on the latest research--in fields ranging from demography and economics to architecture and religion--to describe how Asia Minor became a center of culture and wealth in the Roman Empire. A breathtaking work of scholarship, In the Land of a Thousand Gods will become the standard reference book on the subject in English." --
Summary holdings does not include live availability details. Select a library name for the full Holdings display.
|Location of copy||Shelfmark||Online location||Holdings Notes|
|University of Glasgow Library: University Library Level 8||History VH50 MAR|