University of Manchester Library
About the library
The University of Manchester Library holds over 4 million books and manuscripts, over 41,000 electronic journals and over half a million electronic books. It consists of the Main Library, Alan Gilbert Learning Commons, and several site libraries:
- Main Library - holds the main collections for humanities, education, law, medicine, science and social science.
- Alan Gilbert Learning Commons - a 21st century learning environment, offering a real variety of flexible individual and group study facilities as well as providing access to computers, scanning and printing facilities
- The John Rylands Library, Deansgate - holds the Special Collections which contain some of the most significant books and manuscripts ever produced. They include medieval illuminated manuscripts and the earliest forms of modern printing including the Gutenberg Bible.
- Art and Archaeology Library - situated within the Mansfield Cooper Building
- Braddick Library - situated within the School of Physics and Astronomy
- Eddie Davies Library - specialises in business and management
- Joule Library - the former library of UMIST holds collections for science, engineering and technology
- Kantorowich Library - holds architecture, geography, planning and landscape materials
- Lenagan Library - situated in the School of Music and Drama, has its own collection of textbooks, journals, musical scores, sound recordings and videos
- Stopford Library - holds medicine and dentistry materials for first and second year students and undergraduate textbooks for the Faculty of Life Sciences
- Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Resource Centre
The local library catalogue is available online.
British Library inter-library loan codes
For an explanation of these codes, and for more information on arranging inter-library loans, see the inter-library loans page on the British Library website.
Can I see live document availability on Library Hub Discover? Yes.
Can I obtain items via inter-library loan? Yes - subject to the library's local lending policy. See their website for details. You must request an inter-library loan via a library of which you are a member. Talk to your own library staff for advice on ordering an item.
Can I visit the library to view materials? Yes - see the library's website for access details. If you wish to visit it is advisable to contact the library in advance, to ensure that they can accommodate you and that the material you need will be available.
Browse all of University of Manchester Library records in Library Hub Discover here.